Hearing from former Hornets

Graduates — both recent and those who were at Sac State decades ago — say their experience as students on campus helped prepare them for their current lives

Former CSUS student Geoff Sakala is joined by friends and family at the opening of The Studio, his business in Roseville.

Roseville Chamber of Commerce

Grace Davis, Staff Writer

Graduation season has once more come to Sacramento State, the time when fresh minds embark on their new journey to pursue their post-graduation dreams. 

However, this time, although dreamy, is also incredibly stressful. Many graduates find themselves questioning if they have been fully equipped to go out into the world. But after sitting down with Gary Davis, Jessica Chernioglo and Geoff Sakala, three CSU Sacramento alumni, it’s clear graduating Hornets have nothing to worry about. 

Gary Davis 

“Sac State prepared me for the life that I live now,” said Gary Davis, class of 1999.

Gary Davis
Davis in 1999, when he was Sac State ASI President.

Davis has done much with his business strategic management and government degree. From being a part of the Natomas School Board, serving on the Elk Grove City Council, and becoming the first elected Mayor of the city of Elk Grove, to owning multiple businesses, he credits many of his accomplishments to the time he spent at Sacramento State. 

“That all really ties back to my experience at Sac State, because of my experience at Sac State and getting involved in student government, I wasn’t afraid to run for office myself,” Davis said. 

Davis spent much of his time at CSUS involved in student government. 

“I was first involved in a business club society for the advancement of management,” Davis said. “And then I got involved in student government and ran for ASI president and served as ASI president for a year.” 

With so much experience, Davis gained confidence that allowed him to go out into the world and create the life he so desired. Davis is extremely happy with his life post-graduation. 

“I met my wife there, we have three kids, I got a degree, got experience,” Davis said, “and you know, was not afraid to go out into the real world and just tackle it.” 

Jessica Chernioglo

Post-graduation happiness seems to be a trend among Sac State alumni, as CSUS alumna, Jessica Chernioglo seems to share the post-graduation happiness. 

Jessica Chernioglo

“Life has been much better since I graduated,” said Chernioglo, who finished her degree in 2020. “I work with an intelligent group of people who encourage and motivate me daily.” 

Although she only has three years of post-graduation life to reflect on, Chernioglo can see that her time at CSUS was extremely beneficial to her life now. 

“My time at Sac State helped develop me intellectually, which prepared me for the professional world,” Chernioglo said. “I work for the state of California as an analyst for a team that mediates labor disputes between unions and employers in the public sector.” 

Graduating during a pandemic was rather unexpected for Cherioglo and left her “driving across the stage” unsure of what would happen next. 

“I wish I would have known that there are good-paying jobs that will hire you with any bachelor’s degree,” Chernioglo said. 

Cherioglo’s fears could have been reduced significantly if she had realized just how well Sac State prepared her for a real-world job. Her advice for graduating seniors at CSUS?

“School is temporary,” she said. “Don’t stress it. Stay positive. You’ll find a job. Everything will fall into place at the right time.” 

Geoff Sakala

Success can be seen in many Sac State alumni. Geoff Sakala, who graduated in 2001, has spent much of his time post-graduation taking advantage of his Business Administration, Management Information Systems degree. 

Geoff Sakala

“I am currently the owner of Studio Workspaces in Roseville, a shared workspace for small businesses and entrepreneurs,” Sakala said.

Former ASI and Delta Sigma Pi President, Sakala gives much of his career credit to his alma mater. 

“Learning about business and entrepreneurship as well as taking leadership positions in campus organizations prepared me for my current work,” Sakala said.

Twenty-two years later, Sakala can say he is very happy with how his life has unfolded since his time at Sacramento State. 

“I met my wife of 20 years as well as a few lifelong friends (at Sac State),” Sakala said. “’I’m blessed to have a wonderful family and a business that’s fulfilling.”

Sakala said his advice for current seniors would have been useful to him 20-plus years ago.

“Pursue a career you love,” he said. “Don’t worry about the money early on, just get as much experience as you can.”

Editor’s note: Gary Davis is staff writer Grace Davis’ father.