Australian happy to be a Hornet

Freshman from Melbourne has earned a seat in the rowing team’s top boat, the Varsity Eight

Sac State Athletics

The Sacramento State Varsity Eight boat has helped the Hornets get off to a fast start during the spring intercollegiate rowing season. The Hornets defeated Humboldt State and Kansas State to win the Hornet Invitational in mid-April.

Jessica Johnson, Staff Writer

After just two semesters of living in the U.S, freshman Sacramento State rower  Harper Waring is having a huge impact on the dominating beginning of the season for the Hornets. 

The 5-foot-4 Australian freshman has proved herself and earned a spot on the team’s top boat, the Varsity Eight, where she now sits in the stroke seat. 

Waring has led her boat to several victories and strong finishes, including a third-place finish in the Western Intercollegiate Rowing Association Championships at the end of April. Although there has been a drastic lifestyle change in the past year for her, Waring has seemed to adjust well competing at the NCAA Div. I level. 

High Expectations for the Young Rower

“I was sort of like, if I come into this and I’m not in the Varsity Eight, I feel like either I shouldn’t be there or it was (maybe) the wrong decision,” Waring said on her making it into the top boat as a freshman. 

Harper Waring

Seeing the high expectations Waring had for herself, she gave herself no other choice but to achieve them. 

“I think we have really good potential,” Waring said. “I’m feeling really good about it. Sometimes we doubt ourselves in practice, but we get to actual racing, and it works out for us. We know what we need to do, and when I feel that before (a race), I feel good about it.”

Confidence in Success with the Women’s Rowing Team

Waring isn’t alone in the level of confidence she has in her boat. Sydnie Bain, the captain of the women’s rowing team, feels the same way.

“I feel like this team is capable of taking home some medals this season,” Bain said.

Waring said the fast start for Sac State Rowing this spring is only the beginning of good things to come.

“Personally I like to keep on pushing,” she said. “Don’t get complacent with how it is so far. Keep striving for that extra level. Just keep striving for more. Never get comfortable. Don’t get comfortable with where you’re at.”

Plans on Dominating the Rest of the Rowing Season

Mike Conners, the head coach of the women’s rowing team, agreed that there is no room for the Hornets to relax.

“No one’s seat in the boat is set, and there is always room for improvement,” Conners said.

Waring plans to continue this winning and hardworking mindset throughout the season, and said she will “keep striving for that extra level” to dominate the rest of the 2023 spring season.